Women's groups give Bush a failing grade on HIV
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 30 2003 12:00 AM ET
Several women's advocacy groups on Tuesday released the first in a series of Global Women's Issues Scorecards on the Bush administration's efforts on international women's rights and health concerns, giving failing grades to the Administration regarding its HIV/AIDS policies. The Center for Health and Gender Equity, the Feminist Majority Foundation, and the Women's Environment and Development Organization compared the "reality" and the "rhetoric" of the Administration's responses to the global AIDS pandemic. The groups gave the White House a B for rhetoric on the global HIV/AIDS initiative, a D for international family planning rhetoric, and an F for the reality of both efforts.
"President Bush and members of his administration have sought to promote themselves as compassionate conservatives in part by speaking out on urgent global issues, such as the global AIDS epidemic," said Jodi Jacobson, executive director of CHANGE. "But as the saying goes, actions speak louder than words. And in this regard, women throughout the world will find little to celebrate in this administration's policies to date."
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Op-ed: No One Is Invincible
- Right-Wingers Call Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Film
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' 52 min 24 sec ago
- Politics Michigan's First Out Federal Judge Confirmed 1 hour 51 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' 2 hours 1 min ago
- Women This is the Meryl Streep/Hillary Clinton Selfie You Need In Your Life Right Now! 3:14 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on TV 2:27 PM
- Women WATCH: AI's Out Performer MK Nobilette Does 'To Make You Feel My Love' 2:11 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Married British Same-Sex Couples Are Now Legal 1:56 PM