HIV cofounder says Libyan infections not deliberately caused
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 05 2003 11:00 PM ET
Luc Montagnier, the French codiscoverer of HIV, testified Wednesday in the Libyan trial of six Bulgarian health workers accused of deliberately infecting 393 children with HIV, saying that the infections were due to negligence and unsafe practices at the hospital, Agence France-Presse reports. The health care workers, one doctor and five nurses, are accused of deliberately infecting the children at the al-Fateh hospital in Benghazi. They've been detained in the country since first being charged in early 1999. Montagnier testified that most of the infections probably occurred prior to the workers' arrival at the hospital in 1997 and likely continued after their arrests because of unsafe practices at the hospital, including transfusions with contaminated blood, the reuse of needles, unsterilized equipment, and poor record keeping. Montagnier was asked to testify at the trial by Bulgarian government officials. Italian AIDS researcher Vittorio Colizzi also testified. Defense arguments are expected to continue in the trial on Monday and Tuesday. If found guilty, all six health care workers face the death penalty.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit 2 hours 31 min ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM