Study: Depression weakens immune system
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 05 2003 11:00 PM ET
Depression doesn't just make people feel bad mentally; it also can leave them vulnerable to physical illness, according to a new study by researchers at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. The scientists were studying links between a person's psychological state and their immune response. They asked 52 volunteers, male and female, to write about the worst time of their lives and the best time. Researchers then measured their brain activity; increased activity in the right prefrontal area of the brain has been associated with stronger emotional response and depression. After the testing the individuals were given flu shots and were tested two weeks, four weeks, and six months later to determine their reaction to the shots. Individuals who had shown greater activity in the right prefrontal part of the brain later had lower amounts of flu antibodies in their blood, indicating a weaker response by their immune system.
Depression is a serious problem for many HIV-positive people who may struggle with how to cope with HIV infection, the stigma it carries, and its complex and sometimes toxic treatment. Although the researchers did not specifically study the effects of depression on the immune systems of HIV-positive people, it is possible that depression could further weaken immune responses to invading bacteria and viruses among HIV-positive people.
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Russia's High Court Declares 'Gay Propaganda' Ban Constitutional
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- Entertainment News Listen to The Sound Of Music Live Soundtrack with Carrie Underwood 28 min 48 sec ago
- Travel Berlin's Best Neighborhoods: A Primer 33 min 53 sec ago
- Entertainment News James Franco Teases 50 Shades of Batman & Robin 1 hour 20 min ago
- Entertainment News Tom Daley: 'It Really Was Love at First Sight' 1 hour 26 min ago
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 7:04 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 6:00 AM
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM