Nevada agency pulls abstinence radio ad
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 20 2003 12:00 AM ET
Nevada's Health Division has pulled a public service radio announcement aimed at lowering sexually transmitted disease, HIV, and teen pregnancy rates; the ad suggested that teenage girls will feel "dirty and cheap" if they have sex with their boyfriends. Health Division spokeswoman Martha Framstad said the radio spot was suspended because the language was not appropriate for the 9- to 14-year-old girls the agency wanted to reach. The ad, written by Jessica Cowee, abstinence-only coordinator for the Health Division, was broadcast as recently as last week in Reno and Las Vegas.
Greg Bortolin, a spokesman for Gov. Kenny Guinn, said Monday he thought the ad had been pulled in August. "We were concerned about how the ad was received by listeners," Bortolin said. "If another ad is aired, it hopefully will be less offensive to people. We probably should have been more sensitive."
Planned Parenthood and the American Civil Liberties Union complained about the message, particularly about the "dirty and cheap" line, when the ad was first broadcast in early August. Framstad said her agency is developing a new radio announcement. Plans to run an abstinence ad on television have been dropped.
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death?
- A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Commentary Op-ed: The Policies Keeping Trans People From Military Service 2 hours 29 min ago
- Politics A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade 3:00 AM
- Love and Sex WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video 2:19 AM
- Religion LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades 2:10 AM
- Military Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade March 16 2014 5:34 PM
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? March 16 2014 1:41 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? March 16 2014 1:12 PM