Seattle official praises HIV prevention manifesto
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 17 2003 11:00 PM ET
Ron Sims, county director for King County, Wash., this week added his name to an HIV prevention manifesto that calls on gay and bisexual men to do more to stop the spread of HIV in the Seattle area, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer reports. "It challenges gay and bisexual men to care not only for their own health but for the health of their community," Sims said of the document. "If we are really honest with our lovers, with ourselves and our communities, we can curtail the spread of HIV and AIDS." Alonzo Plough, public health director for King County, also signed the document.
The manifesto, called "A Community Manifesto: A New Response to HIV and STDs," was drawn up by a 40-member task force in response to a 40% rise in HIV infections in the Seattle area in 2002 and an anticipated 60% increase this year. It reads in part: "Transmitting HIV knowingly is an act of violence. Being high is not an excuse for unsafe sex." It also calls on all gay and bisexual men to always use condoms for casual or anonymous sex.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 1 hour 32 min ago
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 1 hour 55 min ago
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 2 hours 2 min ago
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 2 hours 10 min ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 2 hours 13 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 2 hours 21 min ago
- Internet Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay 2:44 PM