AIDS activists picket outside Chicago gay event
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 22 2003 11:00 PM ET
Chicago AIDS activists, disappointed that Mayor Richard M. Daley included only a $100,000 increase in funding for HIV prevention in his fiscal 2004 budget, picketed outside Tuesday's Chicago Gay and Lesbian Hall of Fame's 13th annual ceremony at the Chicago Cultural Center, for which Daley served as host. Local community groups had requested a funding increase of $1 million to help make up for an 8% loss in city funding for HIV prevention programs since 1997. Activists have been picketing outside City Hall since Daley released his proposed budget last week and plan to protest next week during city council budget committee hearings. The mayor's budget includes $3.7 million for HIV prevention programs in 2004, which is less than the amount funded in 1997, according to the AIDS Foundation of Chicago.
Since 1997, HIV cases have risen by 32% in the city, while prevention funding has decreased. Fourteen of the city's 50 aldermen have indicated they will sponsor a budget amendment to provide an additional $1 million to prevention programs. "This disease is not going away, and we cannot afford to act like it is," said alderman Tom Tunney, one of the sponsors of the amendment. "If we are to have any hope of stopping HIV, we must significantly increase funding for prevention."
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Gay Women - News & Culture for Lesbian, Bisexual, and Trans Women
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM