Detained Chinese health official released
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 23 2003 12:00 AM ET
Ma Shiwen, a deputy head of disease control for China's Henan province, was reportedly released from prison last week after being held for allegedly releasing state secrets about the AIDS epidemic in the province, Agence France-Presse reports. Ma's wife told reporters that her husband was released on October 16 without standing trial.
Shiwen was arrested in August for providing to an AIDS activist group a copy of a report on the HIV outbreak in Henan province, which has been linked to unsafe blood selling and collection practices in the 1980s and 1990s. As many as 1 million province residents were infected with HIV when blood brokers used dirty needles to withdraw blood from villagers. After usable plasma was removed from the donated blood, the remaining blood products were pooled and injected back into the villagers so they could more quickly recover and donate again sooner.
Another health official and AIDS activist in the region, Wan Yanhai, was arrested last year for leaking state AIDS secrets and then later released. Ma's release came just before a visit to China by U.S. Health and Human Services secretary Tommy Thompson. Police and government officials did not comment on Ma's release.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- A Letter to My Partners
- Sports South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén 17 min 18 sec ago
- Uganda WATCH: Meet the American Evangelical Behind Uganda's Antigay Law 19 min 59 sec ago
- Women WATCH: 7 New Orphan Black Season 2 Teasers to Hold You Over! 23 min 4 sec ago
- Television Looking GIF-cap: Season 1 Finale 1 hour 53 min ago
- Books Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel 1 hour 56 min ago
- Business P.R. Agency Adds LGBT Practice 2 hours 23 min ago
- Travel A Tour Through the San Francisco of Looking, Season One 2 hours 25 min ago