AIDSVAX fails to protect participants in Thai vaccine trial
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 14 2003 1:00 AM ET
Data from a second Phase III clinical trial of VaxGen's experimental HIV vaccine AIDSVAX conducted in Thailand shows that the vaccine has "no noticeable effect on infection rates," the San Francisco Chronicle reports. The trial involved nearly 2,500 Thai injection-drug users, half of whom were given placebo injections during the three-year study. Trial data showed that during the vaccine study, 105 placebo recipients became infected with HIV, while 106 who received the experimental vaccine were infected.
The results were similar to those released in February for a separate Phase III trial of the vaccine among gay and bisexual men and high-risk women in North America. That study showed that AIDSVAX reduced the rate of new HIV infections by just 3.8% among the study participants. VaxGen officials had initially indicated that subset data showed AIDSVAX to be more effective among African-Americans and Asians, but a more in-depth analysis failed to back up those claims.
The two Phase III AIDSVAX clinical trials were the first end-stage studies ever conducted of an experimental HIV vaccine. AIDSVAX is still being studied as part of a dual-vaccine test launched in July in Thailand. AIDSVAX is being used along with Aventis Pasteur's ALVAC in 16,000 HIV-negative volunteers to see if AIDSVAX will boost the effectiveness of ALVAC in preventing new HIV infections. The study is scheduled to last five years.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Elton John's Las Vegas Performance of 'Benny and the Jets' 25 min 47 sec ago
- Sports Brooklyn Nets Stick with Jason Collins 33 min 58 sec ago
- Television Billy Eichner: Wants to Marry Meryl Streep & Get Down With Judi Dench 37 min 35 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: Does Being Positive Mean I Have to Stop Having Sex? 52 min 49 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Neil Patrick Harris, Behind the Shoot 2 hours 41 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS Why Are a Higher Percentage of Native Americans Dying from AIDS Complications Than Any Other Group? 9:10 AM
- Arts & Entertainment Lorde Is Not Having Your Stupid Lesbian Joke 8:44 AM