AIDSVAX fails to protect participants in Thai vaccine trial
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 14 2003 12:00 AM ET
Data from a second Phase III clinical trial of VaxGen's experimental HIV vaccine AIDSVAX conducted in Thailand shows that the vaccine has "no noticeable effect on infection rates," the San Francisco Chronicle reports. The trial involved nearly 2,500 Thai injection-drug users, half of whom were given placebo injections during the three-year study. Trial data showed that during the vaccine study, 105 placebo recipients became infected with HIV, while 106 who received the experimental vaccine were infected.
The results were similar to those released in February for a separate Phase III trial of the vaccine among gay and bisexual men and high-risk women in North America. That study showed that AIDSVAX reduced the rate of new HIV infections by just 3.8% among the study participants. VaxGen officials had initially indicated that subset data showed AIDSVAX to be more effective among African-Americans and Asians, but a more in-depth analysis failed to back up those claims.
The two Phase III AIDSVAX clinical trials were the first end-stage studies ever conducted of an experimental HIV vaccine. AIDSVAX is still being studied as part of a dual-vaccine test launched in July in Thailand. AIDSVAX is being used along with Aventis Pasteur's ALVAC in 16,000 HIV-negative volunteers to see if AIDSVAX will boost the effectiveness of ALVAC in preventing new HIV infections. The study is scheduled to last five years.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 33 min 44 sec ago
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM