Study shows promising results for New-Fill
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 14 2003 1:00 AM ET
A new study of the lipoatrophy treatment New-Fill, a biocompatible and immunologically inert synthetic polymer, shows that the product may be useful in providing a long-term solution to the facial fat loss that is common among people being treated for HIV disease. New-Fill has been approved in Europe since 1999 for the treatment of facial wasting caused by HIV disease and the antiretroviral medications taken to combat it, as well as to reduce scars and wrinkles.
The 96-week study of 50 HIV-positive patients, conducted in France, showed that median facial fat thickness increased among study participants from nearly zero millimeters at the beginning of the trial to about seven millimeters by its conclusion. More than 40% of the study subjects had facial fat thickness of more than 10 millimeters at the conclusion of the study. No serious adverse events were observed during the study, and no patient stopped taking New-Fill due to side effects.
The study authors, writing in the November 21 edition of the journal AIDS, conclude, "The benefit of [New-Fill] for the correction of the facial lipoatrophy in HIV-infected patients was clearly demonstrated, with an evident aesthetic and quality of life improvement. The efficacy, safety profile, and the simplicity of the injection schedule of [New-Fill] make this filling material a potentially attractive treatment." The Food and Drug Administration is expected to review New-Fill for the treatment of HIV-related lipoatrophy in the first half of 2004.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 7 min 58 sec ago
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM