Gay-inclusive HIV ads spark backlash in Chile
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 06 2003 12:00 AM ET
The Chilean government's media campaign against HIV/AIDS hit a snag recently when three leading Chilean TV stations refused to air a series of commercials launched for World AIDS Day that include images of a gay male couple in bed. The four commercials feature a married man having an affair, a teenager having unprotected sex, a housewife whose husband is cheating on her, and the gay couple. The commercials show people looking in the mirror and asking themselves why they are not taking precautions against HIV. The channels that rejected the spots say they allegedly violate the channels' editorial policies. Two other channels aired the spots.
"We're talking about people dying here," said government spokesman Francisco Vidal. "I have my own opinion about infidelity and homosexuality, but they exist. So how do we deal with a problem like this? Looking at the ceiling or dealing with it?" Throughout Latin America, homophobia is one of the biggest obstacles to proper treatment of the estimated 2 million people with HIV/AIDS in the region, according to a study by the Pan American Health Organization.
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations 1 hour 15 min ago
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM