U.K. database shows drug resistance rising
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 06 2003 1:00 AM ET
The United Kingdom's Health Protection Agency's National HIV Resistance Database shows that the percentage of HIV-positive treatment-naive adults in the country who are infected with virus resistant to at least one antiretroviral medication has increased 40% since 1996, AIDS Weekly reports. The percentage of treatment-naive patients with drug-resistant virus rose from 10% in 1996 to 14% in 2001, according to agency officials. The figures indicate that people taking antiretroviral drugs and developing resistance to them are passing along their drug-resistant strains of the virus to their sex partners or through the sharing of injection-drug paraphernalia. The database also showed that the percentage of people taking antiretroviral drugs who were resistant to medications from three drug classes rose from 1% in 1996 to 14% in 2001.
But health care experts in the country warn that the figures don't indicate that antiretroviral therapy is failing most HIV-positive people in the country. "Drug-resistance testing only tells us about the virus in patients in whom therapy is not working or in whom therapy has not yet started and is not a reflection of all patients receiving treatment," said Barry Evans of the Health Protection Agency.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 5:55 PM