Fund-raiser takes in $300,000 for Nebraska AIDS Project
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 13 2003 1:00 AM ET
The Nebraska AIDS Project raised a record $300,000 during the 11th annual Night of a Thousand Stars fund-raiser, held on Saturday. The event was held at the Omaha Convention Center, where comedian Jay Leno and singer Lionel Richie appeared to help raise the money. According to agency executive director Tim Sullivan, five-time Grammy winner Richie held a 1.5-hour show before an audience of about 4,000 at the center's ballroom and Leno performed for about 45 minutes before 300 sponsors. "The turnout of the crowd, the financial support--it's more than we ever expected," Sullivan said. In 2002 the fund-raiser raised $250,000. NAP works to eliminate the spread of HIV by targeting education and prevention programs to those most at risk.
- Artist Spotlight: Czanara
- Hot Sheet: Guardians and Go-Go Boys
- Michelle Duggar Gets Verdict In Her Quest Against LGBT Ordinance in Ark.
- Michael Lannan's Looking Is More Than Gay Sex and the City
- What Book Changed the Lives of Our '40 Under 40'?
- Zack Ford Gives Straight Progressives the Rundown on LGBT Rights