Appeals court rules in favor of medical marijuana
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 19 2003 1:00 AM ET
A three-judge panel of the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco on Tuesday ruled that the federal government's ban on marijuana use is unconstitutional when applied to people who use it for medicinal reasons in states with laws permitting such use, the San Francisco Chronicle reports. The 2-1 ruling says the ban is illegal for those who use the drug under a physician's advice to treat symptoms of such diseases as AIDS and cancer, so long as the marijuana is not sold, transported across state lines, or used for nonmedicinal reasons. Federal controlled-substances laws ban the use of marijuana in all cases. California is one of eight states to have a law permitting medical marijuana use.
The case before the appeals court involved two California women who filed a lawsuit against U.S. attorney general John Ashcroft and Drug Enforcement Agency administrator Asa Hutchinson to seek an injunction that would allow them to use medicinal marijuana without fear of federal prosecution. A district judge in March ruled against the women, who appealed the case to the ninth circuit court.
The circuit court's decision says the two women's "class of activities--the intrastate, noncommercial cultivation, possession, and use of marijuana for personal medical purposes on the advice of a physician--is, in fact, different in kind from drug-trafficking" and as such falls outside the federal government's jurisdiction. The court's ruling affects six other states under its jurisdiction--Arizona, Oregon, Washington State, Nevada, Alaska, and Hawaii--that also have medical marijuana laws.
Federal officials in California said they are now awaiting direction from Washington, D.C., as to how to enforce the federal Controlled Substances Act while the case is being appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court, which already has rejected some medical marijuana rights. The high court ruled in May 2001 that there is no exemption in federal drug laws for the use of medical marijuana and that growing, possession, or use of the drug is always illegal.
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 3 min 41 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 19 min 24 sec ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 35 min 59 sec ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 53 min 59 sec ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 56 min 6 sec ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 1 hour 25 min ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 2 hours 19 min ago