U.N. warns that HIV is on the rise in Western Europe
February 24 2004 1:00 AM ET
HIV is spreading again in Western Europe and is rampaging through Eastern Europe and Central Asia, where it infected 250,000 people last year, a United Nations health official said Monday. Eastern Europe and Central Asia are experiencing the fastest-growing HIV epidemic in the world, said Peter Piot, the executive director of the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS. In 1998, Piot noted, there were only 30,000 people known to be infected with HIV in Eastern Europe and Central Asia. That figure has since risen to 1.5 million, he said.
Piot released the statistics during the opening session of a two-day conference intended to rally financial and political support for the fight against AIDS. He criticized Western European nations for easing prevention campaigns after the introduction in the 1990s of antiretroviral drugs that slow the progression of HIV infection. Western European AIDS death rates fell to 3,500 last year from more than 20,000 in 1996. But Western Europe registered 30,000 to 40,000 new HIV infections last year, which Piot termed an "unacceptable occurrence for one of the richest regions in the world." HIV also is quickly spreading in Eastern Europe and Central Asia, particularly Russia, Ukraine, Estonia, Latvia, Belarus, Moldova, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, and Uzbekistan, according to Piot. As many as 1.5 million people in Russia may be infected with the virus, according to U.N. estimates.
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? 1 hour 30 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? 1 hour 59 min ago
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant March 15 2014 11:57 AM