New test developed for breast cancer
March 19 2004 1:00 AM ET
A new diagnostic tool for breast cancer that will allow doctors to look at the genetic makeup of tumors to personalize treatment could be available later this year, researchers said on Wednesday. Alane Koki, chief scientific officer of the French biotechnology company Ipsogen, told a conference the test will provide genetic information about the tumor to help doctors select the best treatment for the patient. "Understanding differences in gene expression can help both patients and clinicians to decide what treatment would be most effective and appropriate with a personalized approach," Koki told the Fourth European Breast Cancer Conference.
The Breast Cancer Profile Chip uses microarray technology to look at the genetic signature of the tumor. Microarray enables scientists to analyze the expression of many genes at the same time. The technology has been used mainly in research, but Koki said the BCPC, which is being tested and should be ready by the summer, will be available to pathology laboratories. "The BCPC will simultaneously measure expression of more than 900 important genes to augment conventional methods to clinically assess breast cancer," said Koki. The company is also planning clinical trials of the test to determine how it can optimize the treatment of breast cancer, which accounts for about a quarter of all cancers in European women.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- WATCH: Chelsea Handler Skewers Piers Morgan as a 'Terrible Interviewer'
- WATCH: 20 Strangers Kiss for the First Time
- S.C. House Approves Budget Cuts to Colleges With LGBT Curricula
- 'Tranny Awards' Changes Its Name, Not Its Nature
- Television First Look: OITNB Season 2 21 min 11 sec ago
- Transgender 'Tranny Awards' Changes Its Name, Not Its Nature 51 min 24 sec ago
- Love and Sex WATCH: 20 Strangers Kiss for the First Time 53 min 58 sec ago
- Women Why You Need to See Demi Lovato's Neon Lights Tour STAT 1 hour 11 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Young Repubs Express Big Support for Marriage Equality 1 hour 19 min ago
- Television Teen Wolf Adds Gay Character, Expands Lacrosse Team 1 hour 23 min ago
- Women 5 Reasons to Watch CW's Arrow and 'Quiver!' 1 hour 23 min ago