San Francisco AIDS denialist David Pasquarelli dies
March 19 2004 1:00 AM ET
David Pasquarelli, a San Francisco activist who challenged medical findings that HIV causes AIDS and opposed increased funding to fight the epidemic, died March 8 of AIDS-related complications, the San Francisco Chronicle reports. He was 36. Pasquarelli, who was diagnosed with HIV infection in 1995, spent the last decade challenging the veracity of research showing that HIV leads to AIDS and searching for what he believed to be the real cause of the disease, according to Steve Huggins, his partner of seven years. He also was notorious in the San Francisco area for disrupting AIDS-related meetings and even harassing researchers and health officials who spoke out about gay-male sex as a vector for HIV transmission. He was a member of the San Francisco chapter of ACT UP, which differs from other local chapters of the activist organization by advocating the belief that HIV and AIDS are not connected. In August, Pasquarelli was sentenced to three years of probation for making threatening telephone calls to public health officials and newspaper reporters who covered HIV and gay-sex issues. A memorial service will be held Saturday at 3 p.m. at San Francisco's Palace of Fine Arts.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 2 hours 22 min ago
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM