Norfolk, Va., fails to spend $1 million in federal AIDS funds
March 20 2004 1:00 AM ET
Government officials in Norfolk, Va., reported this week that $1 million in federal Ryan White AIDS grants given to the area went unspent during the fiscal year that ended February 29, the Virginian-Pilot reports. The unspent money represented 20% of the total federal grant given to the region. Health officials are disturbed by the report, as they estimate that 900 HIV-positive people didn't receive care during the previous fiscal year because local AIDS groups were unable to expand services due to financial constraints. Federal officials from the Health Resources and Services Administration plan to send a team of consultants to Norfolk to help AIDS officials revamp the region's HIV programs to fully serve the estimated 2,100 HIV-positive people in the area.
Norfolk officials have failed several times during the past decade to fully spend the region's federal AIDS money. To date, Norfolk has failed to spend more than $2.6 million in Ryan White funds. The region recently received a $4.8 million Ryan White grant for the 2004 fiscal year, a funding cut of $300,000. The HRSA has not yet released the 2004 money because of the region's failure to spend all of the 2003 grant.
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Travel PHOTOS: Miami's Winter Party Combines Skin, Philanthropy 40 min 5 sec ago
- Television Fox's Brooklyn Nine-Nine Quietly Breaks Ground 45 min 45 sec ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Ushering in a New Year Money Minute 1 hour 46 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Opera Director Gerard Mortier Dies at 70 2 hours 57 sec ago
- Television MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters 2 hours 21 min ago
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM