N.Y. patients receive hoax HIV letters
March 23 2004 12:00 AM ET
Since early February, at least 10 people in New York have received letters printed on counterfeit Mount Sinai Hospital letterhead claiming to inform them that one of their sexual partners has tested positive for HIV and that they also may be infected with HIV, The New York Times reports.
In addition, Virginia officials a few weeks ago said that they had discovered a batch of nearly identical letters claiming to be from Virginia Hospital Center, the newspaper reports. The New York letters claim to be from Mount Sinai's "HIV/AIDS Notification Service" although no such department exists. Furthermore, patients' sexual partners or individuals with whom HIV-positive people shared needles are always informed in person of HIV-positive test results, according to the Times.
A Mount Sinai spokesman said that while there did not seem to be any links between the individuals who received the letters claiming to be from Mount Sinai, one line in each of the letters indicated that the person who sent the letters knew information about each of the recipients, the Times reports. For example, a letter to one man stated, "We want to make all relevant parties informed, including your wife," while a letter to a woman said, "including your past husband."
Mount Sinai spokesman Mel Granick said that the similarities between the New York and Virginia letters "are strong enough...to raise suspicions that the same person is responsible in both cases," the Times reports. The Manhattan district attorney's office has begun an investigation into the case, the newspaper reported. District attorney's office spokeswoman Barbara Thompson said that creating and sending the fake letters might constitute a crime, such as possession of a false instrument--a charge similar to forgery--or aggravated harassment.
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary
- Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary 6:53 PM
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! 6:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse 4:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen 4:07 PM