Los Angeles syphilis patients get wrong treatment
March 25 2004 12:00 AM ET
The Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center on Friday informed county health officials that about 300 people seeking treatment for syphilis at the center had been given the wrong medication to treat the sexually transmitted disease, the Los Angeles Times reports. The patients were treated with penicillin formula Bicillin C-R, a weaker drug than the standard syphilis treatment Bicillin L-A. Bicillin C-R contains only about half the dose of the more powerful standard treatment.
"This drug looks identical and has the same name, with the exception of the two letters, so in some ways one can understand how this mistake can be made," center chief operations officer Darrel Cummings told the Times. "After we disclosed the problem, we began identifying the pool of people who might be affected, and we're trying to contact those folks personally." The center is asking any patient who was treated for syphilis since 1999 to return for screening for the STD and a second antibiotic injection, if necessary. Health officials are unsure whether those treated with the lower-dose medication would still have the disease or whether they could infect others.
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular 22 min 47 sec ago
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics 1 hour 14 min ago
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? 1 hour 21 min ago
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President 2 hours 2 min ago
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 2 hours 59 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 5:38 PM