Maryland hospital still seeks 180 patients for HIV, hepatitis retests
April 02 2004 12:00 AM ET
Maryland General Hospital announced Tuesday it is still seeking 180 patients who may have received questionable HIV and hepatitis C test results. According to hospital spokesman Lee Kennedy, 460 people were originally identified as receiving suspect results during a 14-month period ending last August. "We are doing everything that we possibly can to find these individuals," said Kennedy of the patients still needing retesting. Of those already retested, 100% of the original HIV antibody tests proved accurate, Kennedy reported. He said all but three of the HCV cases matched the original results. In those three cases, negative HCV tests were found to be positive upon retesting. The hospital said possible reasons for the change in results may include testing equipment error and infection after the original test.
More than 400 patients at the Baltimore hospital were on the list of those who may have received incorrect HIV and hepatitis test results after laboratory personnel overrode controls in testing equipment that showed the results might be in error and mailed the suspect results to the patients. A hotline has been set up for people who were screened for HIV and hepatitis infection to call for more information and to reschedule retests. It can be reached at (877) 225-5660.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 23 min 5 sec ago
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 45 min 57 sec ago
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 53 min 25 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 1 hour 1 min ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 1 hour 4 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 1 hour 12 min ago
- Women WATCH: Ellen Will Tell You if She and Portia Are Getting Divorced! 2 hours 31 min ago