Maryland hospital still seeks 180 patients for HIV, hepatitis retests
April 02 2004 1:00 AM ET
Maryland General Hospital announced Tuesday it is still seeking 180 patients who may have received questionable HIV and hepatitis C test results. According to hospital spokesman Lee Kennedy, 460 people were originally identified as receiving suspect results during a 14-month period ending last August. "We are doing everything that we possibly can to find these individuals," said Kennedy of the patients still needing retesting. Of those already retested, 100% of the original HIV antibody tests proved accurate, Kennedy reported. He said all but three of the HCV cases matched the original results. In those three cases, negative HCV tests were found to be positive upon retesting. The hospital said possible reasons for the change in results may include testing equipment error and infection after the original test.
More than 400 patients at the Baltimore hospital were on the list of those who may have received incorrect HIV and hepatitis test results after laboratory personnel overrode controls in testing equipment that showed the results might be in error and mailed the suspect results to the patients. A hotline has been set up for people who were screened for HIV and hepatitis infection to call for more information and to reschedule retests. It can be reached at (877) 225-5660.
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Right-Wingers Call Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Film
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- Op-ed: No One Is Invincible
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- Politics Michigan's First Out Federal Judge Confirmed 6 min 45 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' 16 min ago
- Women This is the Meryl Streep/Hillary Clinton Selfie You Need In Your Life Right Now! 1 hour 26 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on TV 2 hours 14 min ago
- Women WATCH: AI's Out Performer MK Nobilette Does 'To Make You Feel My Love' 2 hours 30 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Married British Same-Sex Couples Are Now Legal 2 hours 44 min ago
- Travel Forget J.Lo, Windy City Gay Idol is the Hot Ticket 2 hours 47 min ago