Philadelphia to record HIV cases by codes
April 03 2004 12:00 AM ET
Although the state of Pennsylvania reports new HIV infections to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention using the names of those who test positive for the infection, HIV cases in Philadelphia will be recorded by a coding system, according to an agreement between city and state health officials. Philadelphia Gay News reports that in a letter dated March 25, state health secretary Calvin Johnson agreed to let the city record HIV cases by codes for the next year. After that, the code-based system will be evaluated before it will be allowed to continue.
AIDS activists in the city had protested the state's decision to collect and report the names of those who've tested positive for HIV infection, out of fears of confidentiality breaches and worries that the system would discourage HIV antibody testing. Philadelphia mayor John Street in May 2001 informed state officials that the city would not participate in names-based HIV reporting when it took effect in the state in October 2002. City health commissioner John Domazalski praised the decision to permit code-based reporting in Philadelphia and said the new reporting system would be in place soon. The remainder of the state will continue to use a names-based HIV reporting system.
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations 1 hour 1 min ago
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM