Research begins for anal microbicides to fight HIV
April 05 2004 11:00 PM ET
Research into anal microbicides to protect against HIV infection is finally under way at major research centers around the world, said scientists attending the Microbicides 2004 Conference held in London last week, Positive Nation reports. An entire day at the conference was devoted to discussing rectal microbicides. Research on several products to be used by women to prevent vaginal HIV infection is already under way, with some products in human trials, but little research has been done to see if the same products or others are effective in preventing transmission of HIV during anal sex. Anal sex is the cause of almost all sexually transmitted HIV infections among gay men.
The microbicide products currently being examined include gels that produce a physical barrier to HIV as well as antiretroviral medications designed to target HIV as it tries to infect rectal cells. Research into rectal microbicides currently is no further advanced than animal studies, but scientists hope that the projects pick up speed as results begin to be reported from the human vaginal microbicide studies under way. A vaginal HIV microbicide is expected by 2010 at the earliest, and the first products to hit the market will likely be less than 100% effective, researchers say.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- You Think You’re Worried?
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM