Anal Pap smears may not be useful for gay men
May 12 2004 11:00 PM ET
According to a study published in Clinical Infectious Diseases, Pap smears may not be an accurate predictor of high-grade precancerous anal lesions that can lead to the development of anal cancer, reports AIDSmap.com. Recently there has been discussion about the value of offering Pap smears to gay men who have anal human papillomavirus infection. Several studies also have indicated not only that HIV-positive men are at an increased risk of anal cancer but that highly active antiretroviral therapy does not appear to reduce the risk. Investigators from Boston used the results from high-resolution anoscopy from 153 gay men attending an anal dysplasia clinic. Out of the 153 men, 65% were HIV-positive and the remaining 35% were HIV-negative. The results indicated that Pap cytology tests were not an accurate predictor of high-grade precancerous anal lesions; one third of the Pap smears categorized by cytology as "low-grade" were in fact found to be "high-grade."
The study authors noted their data "independently confirms a substantial incidence of histologically proven high-grade anal dysplasia in [gay men] who present with minimally abnormal anal Pap smear findings," and they concluded that "abnormal anal cytological findings of any grade should suggest the possibility of high-grade histological findings."
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 1 hour 41 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 2 hours 45 min ago
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM