Senators ask FTC official to testify at Norvir hearing
May 14 2004 11:00 PM ET
Eight Democratic senators this week wrote to National Institutes of Health director Elias Zerhouni to ask the Federal Trade Commission to send a representative to an upcoming hearing on the possible production of a generic version of the HIV protease inhibitor Norvir, The Wall Street Journal reports. In December Abbott Laboratories raised the price of Norvir by more than 400%, from about $54 per month to $265 per month. Norvir is commonly used to boost the effects of other protease inhibitors and is one of the most commonly prescribed anti-HIV medications. Essential Innovations, a nonprofit consumer advocacy group, is requesting a license to produce a generic version of patented Norvir because the organization claims Norvir is subject to a law that allows drugmakers to make generic copies of patented drugs that were developed wholly or partially with taxpayer dollars. The letter calls for an FTC representative to discuss "competitive issues" raised by Norvir's price increase. FTC officials declined to comment on the request. Three state attorneys general are investigating the price increase, and Abbott is facing several lawsuits in state and federal courts over the price increase.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Op-ed: How a Symbol Changed Hearts and Minds
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM