South Africa in another dispute with global AIDS fund
May 26 2004 11:00 PM ET
Richard Feachem, who heads the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria, this week told South African media that Pretoria is not distributing international grant money to organizations fighting AIDS. "It's intolerable that the money gets stuck in Pretoria, and if Pretoria can't move it for any reason, we will simply withdraw it and establish direct relationships with the people actually doing the work," Feachem said. The current dispute is but the latest to erupt between the nation and the global fund.
"Dr. Feachem has no right to threaten to reorganize arrangements between the fund and South Africa without establishing what the facts are," said a statement issued by South African health minister Manto Tshablala-Msimang, who expressed "surprise and disbelief" at Feachem's comments.
Following almost two years of disagreement over how the money would be distributed, South Africa last year signed a $41 million deal with the global fund. Contention centered chiefly on whether the money could be used to buy antiretrovirals and whether funds could be given directly to provinces and programs, rather than to the central government. On Tuesday, South African health officials said Pretoria is complying with the agreement's terms and distributing all money received to recipient groups and nongovernmental organizations. (Reuters)
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 39 min 53 sec ago
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 1 hour 39 min ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM