Millions of women get needless Pap tests
June 24 2004 12:00 AM ET
Nearly 10 million U.S. women who have had hysterectomies are needlessly getting routine Pap tests, researchers say. Pap tests are used to detect cancer of the cervix, at the base of the uterus. But in most hysterectomies, the cervix is removed along with the uterus. In 1996, the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force said routine Pap tests are unnecessary for women who have had both their cervix and uterus removed for reasons other than cervical cancer. That recommendation was recently echoed by the American Cancer Society and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. But Veterans Affairs researchers found that nearly 46% of such women were still getting Pap tests in 2002.
"I actually was quite surprised because, in this case, women are being screened for cancer in an organ they don't have," said Brenda Sirovich of the VA Medical Center in White River Junction, Vt., and Dartmouth College. Her study appears in the June 23 edition of the Journal of the American Medical Association.
Doctors advise women with intact wombs to have Pap tests yearly, or sometimes every two or three years if they have had three normal tests in a row. In women without a cervix, only vaginal cells are evaluated, but vaginal cancer is extremely rare, and Pap tests were not designed to detect it, Sirovich said. While Pap tests are relatively inexpensive, these women are undergoing uncomfortable exams, doctors are being distracted from more important matters, and lab specialists are spending needless time analyzing specimens, Sirovich said. (AP)
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 8:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 8:25 PM