Richard Gere helps launch Indian AIDS project
July 08 2004 12:00 AM ET
Actor Richard Gere and Indian socialite Parmeshwar Godrej on Wednesday helped launched the Heroes Project, an organization that aims to mobilize the fight against AIDS in India, home to about 5 million HIV-positive people. The project is supported by the Indian initiative of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Avahan, as well as the Gere Foundation India Trust, the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation, and the Indian media company Star India. The three-year project will include a public education partnership with Star Media, which will air 26,000 public service announcements on its television and radio properties. The first televised PSA will run later this month and will feature Indian cricket star Rahul Dravid. Several interactive educational events also are planned for the campaign.
- 60 Music Videos That Raised LGBT Visibility
- Lesbian Feminist Cathy Brennan Sues AfterEllen for Defamation
- Op-ed: Whither Gay Provincetown?
- Op-ed: We Just Saw a Turning Point for Global LGBT Rights
- Op-ed: Michael Sam Helps Therapy Come Out of the Closet
- REPORT: Lawsuit Targets Woman Killed in Caitlyn Jenner Crash