Analyst says Fuzeon's side effects will limit its use
September 10 2004 12:00 AM ET
Because the injectable anti-HIV drug Fuzeon can cause small knots on the skin where it is injected--and severe skin reactions in 10% to 15% of the people who take it--the drug's use will likely be limited to just two to three years because patients will "eventually run out of skin surface for injection," according to an new analyst report, The News and Observer of Raleigh, N.C., reports. Thomas Wei, an analyst at Piper Jaffray, suggests that Fuzeon will likely never become a huge commercial success because of the skin reactions associated with its twice-daily injections. Other studies have suggested Fuzeon's price tag--about $20,000 per year--also are restricting its use.
But not all analysts agree with Wei's report. Sharon Seiler, an analyst at Punk, Ziegel, and Co., says adverse side effects are likely not going to be enough to prevent HIV patients who've exhausted all other treatment options from using Fuzeon. Officials at pharmaceutical company Trimeris, which markets Fuzeon jointly with Roche, note that the discontinuation rate among Fuzeon users is similar to that of other anti-HIV medications. Trimeris also reports that it is working on a new formulation of Fuzeon that could reduce the number of injections required in order to minimize skin reactions.
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- These Gay Teen Lovers Are Nothing But Trash
- Do New Immigration Detention Guidelines Fail Trans Detainees?
- Uganda U.S. Suspends Health Aid to Uganda Over 'Jail the Gays' Law 14 min 43 sec ago
- Travel Polaroid Museum Opening at Vegas' LINQ 23 min 40 sec ago
- Politics Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade 1 hour 1 min ago
- Women 5 Reasons to Watch (or Re-Watch) Veronica Mars Now That the Movie Is Out! 1 hour 2 min ago
- Theater These Gay Teen Lovers Are Nothing But Trash 1 hour 5 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Out's Best-Dressed Man of the Week: Matt Bomer 1 hour 16 min ago
- Music WATCH: Gay Rapper Le1f Makes His Network TV Debut 1 hour 16 min ago