MTV and CNN announce production of AIDS news special
November 05 2004 12:00 AM ET
MTV International and CNN International have announced they will coproduce a 30-minute special news program on AIDS to air on both networks in support of World AIDS Day 2004, held on December 1. The program, titled Staying Alive: An MTV and CNN News Special, will air on MTV globally on December 1; on CNN International on November 27 and December 1; and on CNN en Espanol on November 27 and December 1. The special will reach a potential audience of more than 1 billion people. In the United States the program will air as part of MTV's "Fight for Your Rights: Protect Yourself" campaign. The program will include news segments on how HIV affects young people in regions all around the world. Local CNN news reporters and MTV on-screen personalities will produce and appear in the segments. The program will address many issues including treatment access, condom usage, discrimination, and rising HIV infection rates among young people. MTV and CNN will make the program available to other broadcast channels for free in an effort to reach as many young people around the world as possible.
"It has been estimated that 38 million people are currently living with HIV/AIDS," says Rena Golden, senior vice president at CNN International. "We firmly believe that education and democratic dissemination of credible information is the key to fighting this epidemic. I echo the challenge for all global broadcasters to deliver this message through the distribution of Staying Alive. We're delighted to be working with MTV on this initiative and hope this represents the beginning of an enduring partnership."
- Politics Timeline: When Executive Orders Came First? 45 min 45 sec ago
- Current Issue One Issue Still Bucks The Trend for LGBT Equality 1 hour 45 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: 'License to Discriminate' Bills Will Keep Coming 2 hours 45 min ago
- Women Ellen's Oscars' Selfie Gets Simpson-ized! March 06 2014 7:56 PM
- Travel General Motors Hopes to Impress You at Mammoth Gay Ski Week March 06 2014 7:24 PM
- Women WATCH: American Idol's Out Contestant MK Nobilette Does 'Drops of Jupiter' March 06 2014 7:18 PM
- Books Gay Propaganda Brings Russian Love Stories to Light March 06 2014 6:06 PM