CDC: HIV rates rising among gay men
December 02 2004 1:00 AM ET
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on World AIDS Day released new data on domestic HIV infection rates culled from information gathered in 32 states, reporting that while the overall HIV infection rate remained steady from 2000 to 2003, infections did rise in some groups, including gay and bisexual men. New HIV infections among gay men climbed 11% between 2000 and 2003, with the largest increase occurring from 2001 to 2002. Overall, HIV infection rates climbed 5% among all U.S. males, with the increase largely due to the higher infection rate among gay men.
Between 2000 and 2003, more than half of all new HIV diagnoses were among African-Americans; 32% were among whites; and 15% were among Latinos. African-American women were infected at a rate 18 times higher than white women. African-American men were infected at a rate seven times higher than white men, and three times higher than Latino men, according to the CDC data.
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 6 min 48 sec ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 13 min 8 sec ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 36 min 34 sec ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 45 min 20 sec ago
- Youth Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill 52 min 2 sec ago
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 1 hour 34 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Miami's Winter Party Combines Skin, Philanthropy 2 hours 6 min ago