Kenyan church official apologizes for calling HIV a "curse from God"
BY Mike Grippi
March 18 2006 12:00 AM ET
archbishop of the Anglican Church in Kenya, this week
apologized for the church previously calling HIV a
“curse from God” and for its persecution
of HIV-positive congregants, AllAfrica.com reports.
The Kenyan church’s position on HIV has been so
discriminatory that some HIV-positive members have
been excommunicated. Nzimbi, who was speaking at an
AIDS workshop in the capital, Nairobi, apologized for
the church’s actions and pledged to work to
break down HIV stigma throughout the country.
“We apologize for earlier abandoning our flock, which
was as a result of our ignorance of the disease, but
today we are more informed,” he said at the
workshop. (The Advocate)
- WATCH: Obama Bundler, HRC Founder Terry Bean Arrested on Sex Crimes Charges
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Smoke Signals' Gay Actor Turned Doctor Lands New Career-Defining Role
- 6 Bad Signs of a Good Relationship
- Transgender Pioneer and Stone Butch Blues Author Leslie Feinberg Has Died
- These 48 Trans Women and Men Changed the World