Text Message-Based HIV/AIDS Campaign Set to Start in L.A.
October 09 2008 11:00 PM ET
An innovative new
text message-based HIV/AIDS campaign is set to
start in Los Angeles County now that it has received
funding. With a grant from Cable Positive, the cable
industry's HIV/AIDS nonprofit, AIDS Project Los
Angeles will be able to go forward with the new-media health
intervention, the group announced on Wednesday.
The campaign will
use text messaging to directly address the HIV-related
concerns of at-risk gay and bisexual young men of
color in Los Angeles County. It will start with a
group of some 150 boys and men between the ages
of 13 and 24 who participate in a youth program at
APLA, and organizers hope the messages will spread through
their individual social networks.
"Our aim is to
help young gay and bisexual men prevent the challenges
they face from becoming barriers to healthy behaviors,"
Patrick Hebert, associate director of education at
APLA, said in a statement. "This project capitalizes
on technology they already use within their existing
networks. By encouraging dialogue about HIV/AIDS, we hope to
strengthen those networks and help create new ones."
Promotions of the
campaign will appear in 21-and-under clubs, gay pride
events, and local schools, and the effort will also be
publicized on the MySpace and Facebook pages of the
members of APLA's youth program. Almost 20% of the
48,000 cumulative AIDS cases in Los Angeles County are among
men between the ages of 13 and 29, according to county data;
nationally, blacks make up 48% of new infections
among gay and bisexual men between 13 and 29,
according to the Centers for Disease Control and
Prevention. (The Advocate)
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 1 hour 42 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 2 hours 46 min ago
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM