All Grown Up
BY Benjamin Ryan
November 18 2010 5:00 AM ET
“Nobody really prepared me for the future,” she explains. “They didn’t think I would live that long, truthfully.”
The conflict over the financial side of their mutual efforts to fight HIV has fractured Broadbent’s relationship with, in her words, “the woman who raised me.”
These difficulties have opened Broadbent’s eyes to what she sees as a pressing problem in African-American family life. She worries that many other black women have troubled relationships with their mothers and that this has grave implications for the spread of HIV.
“So you go outside of the home looking for love,” she explains. “You sometimes put yourself in a position where you’re allowing a man to disrespect you, belittle you. Or you’re sleeping with man after man after man to try to fill that void that is missing.”
In addition to plans to push for legislation requiring doctors to offer HIV screening to pregnant women, she hopes to find a way to hold forums that will open a dialogue about African-American mothers and daughters.
But meanwhile, she’s simply grateful for the chance to have her say.
“Even though it’s a struggle, my life has been a blessing,” she says, “because I’ve had the opportunity to work with so many different people and share my story with people. I’ve never really had days where I said, ‘Why me?’ Because I’m able to talk, I have a great relationship, I’m dating somebody who knows my status, who loves me. I’m not depressed about having AIDS at all.”
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen 28 min 12 sec ago
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 1 hour 51 min ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 2 hours 6 min ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 2 hours 23 min ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 2 hours 41 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 2 hours 43 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 5:55 PM