All Grown Up
BY Benjamin Ryan
November 18 2010 5:00 AM ET
“Nobody really prepared me for the future,” she explains. “They didn’t think I would live that long, truthfully.”
The conflict over the financial side of their mutual efforts to fight HIV has fractured Broadbent’s relationship with, in her words, “the woman who raised me.”
These difficulties have opened Broadbent’s eyes to what she sees as a pressing problem in African-American family life. She worries that many other black women have troubled relationships with their mothers and that this has grave implications for the spread of HIV.
“So you go outside of the home looking for love,” she explains. “You sometimes put yourself in a position where you’re allowing a man to disrespect you, belittle you. Or you’re sleeping with man after man after man to try to fill that void that is missing.”
In addition to plans to push for legislation requiring doctors to offer HIV screening to pregnant women, she hopes to find a way to hold forums that will open a dialogue about African-American mothers and daughters.
But meanwhile, she’s simply grateful for the chance to have her say.
“Even though it’s a struggle, my life has been a blessing,” she says, “because I’ve had the opportunity to work with so many different people and share my story with people. I’ve never really had days where I said, ‘Why me?’ Because I’m able to talk, I have a great relationship, I’m dating somebody who knows my status, who loves me. I’m not depressed about having AIDS at all.”
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Photos: Cuba Libre
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 2 hours 3 min ago
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 2 hours 43 min ago
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM