It Takes a Village to Stop HIV
BY Advocate Contributors
December 01 2011 5:00 AM ET
If you raise a dollar for AIDS causes, you’re doing more than most folks. Bill Shopoff does more than that. The Irvine, Calif., businessman has raised over a quarter-million dollars for HIV services as a cyclist in AIDS/LifeCycle’s Ride to End AIDS.
Every year in the AIDS/LifeCycle, 2,350 bicyclists and 600 volunteer “roadies” complete a seven-day, 545-mile bike ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles as part of the world’s most successful AIDS fund-raiser. Over the past decade the event has raised more than $80 million for the HIV/AIDS services of the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center and San Francisco AIDS Foundation — and Shopoff has been a big part of that.
Shopoff has completed the journey six times, taking up the cause to honor the many friends he lost to AIDS. Crediting his fund-raising success to personal outreach, especially to those directly affected by the disease, Shopoff says of the LifeCycle, “There’s nothing I’ve done that’s been more rewarding.”
That’s saying a lot considering Shopoff, when he’s not cycling, is president and CEO of Shopoff Group and has more than 25 years of real estate investment experience.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 20 min 52 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 1 hour 16 min ago
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 1 hour 51 min ago
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 1 hour 51 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT 1 hour 51 min ago
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 1:06 AM
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM