Largest HIV Clinic in NYC Opens Doors
BY Neal Broverman
December 04 2011 8:35 PM ET
Showcasing an innovative new healthcare model, the West 17th Street Clinic opened in New York City's Chelsea neighborhood on Thursday, World AIDS Day.
The clinic is run by St. Luke’s and Roosevelt Hospitals’ Center for Comprehensive Care. The new facility will be one of the largest HIV centers in the Empire State, with dermatology, cardiology, ob-gyn, and pharmacy services available. The 17th Street Clinic "operates on a 'medical home' model where patients stay in one room while doctors, nurses, and other caregivers come to their room in turn, tipped off by a multi-colored flag system above each door and overseen by a Flow Coordinator who ensures each patient’s visit is smooth and efficient with minimal waiting time," according to a release.
The opening of the clinic couldn't come at a better time -- New York City's St. Vincent's hospital, which had been serving HIV patients since the beginning of the epidemic, shut down last year.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM