S/M workshop for Canadian youth upsets parents
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 13 2001 1:00 AM ET
A United Way workshop that set out to teach teens as young as 14 how to practice safe sadomasochistic sex has a number of parents in Barrie, Ontario, up in arms, The Toronto Star reports. Im mortified that children were exposed to this damaging, horrific perversion, said Mary Lou Butkovich, who pulled her 16-year-old daughter from the series of workshops when she learned the S/M workshop was a part of it. I dont think kids really need to know a great deal about this practice. Organizer Gina Frederick said the workshop, which was taught by the producer of the annual Mr. Leatherman competition in Toronto, was included because health officials had received a number of questions from concerned teens about S/M. Such a practice involves vast amounts of knowledge, and this workshop is designed to provide information on health decisions. It is not a how-to thing.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper 44 min 19 sec ago
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 1 hour 29 min ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 2 hours 40 min ago
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 2 hours 42 min ago
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 6:09 PM
- Travel Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples 5:07 PM