BY Advocate.com Editors
February 15 2001 1:00 AM ET
American Social Health Association sponsors National Condom Day
The American Social Health Association has for the 11th consecutive year declared Wednesday National Condom Day, according to the Kaiser Daily HIV/AIDS Report. Designed to coincide with Valentines Day, National Condom Day aims to encourage people to love responsibly by using condoms to protect one anothers sexual health, said Linda Alexander, ASHA president and CEO. We encourage people to talk openly and honestly with their sex partners about the sensitive subject of condoms as a way to reduce the risk of sexually transmitted diseases.
National Condom Dayrelated events include:
County health officials in Manitowoc County, Wisc., will distribute free condoms in an effort to make county residents more aware of sexually transmitted diseases and teenage pregnancy.
Health Department workers in Detroit began distributing free condoms over the weekend at nightclubs, bars, and establishments where sexual activities may at least initiate, according to the Detroit Free Press. Flavored condoms, colored condoms, female condoms, and novelty condoms, such as condom earrings and lollipops, are being handed out. The citys health departments budget for this project was increased from $500 last year to $6,000 this year.
The University of Mississippi Counseling Center is distributing free condoms and pamphlets promoting safer sex as part of its monthlong Its a Love Thing program, according to the Daily Mississippian.
Health workers in Hong Kong drove through the city Wednesday in an open-top Love Bus, distributing colored and flavored condoms to promote open discussions of safer sex among the citys residents.
Oxygen Media, which bills itself as the online and on-air network for women, has set up a Web site that features video clips that include condom demonstrations, expert advice on the use of male and female condoms, and discussion boards on safer sex and birth control. The site can be viewed here.
Global Protection Corp. is releasing Night Light, the only glow-in-the-dark condom approved by the FDA for disease and pregnancy protection. The condom uses a nontoxic phosphorous pigment contained in the middle layer of the three-layer latex condom. Other glow-in-the-dark condoms on the market are available as novelty items only and not approved for the prevention of disease and pregnancy. The company is also sponsoring a Web contest in which 10 winners will receive a free years supply of condoms. Online registration for the contest is available at http://www.nightlightcondoms.com.
Ansell Healthcare, the manufacturer of LifeStyles Condoms, is releasing three new products for National Condom Day, including LifeStyles Large Condom, the Snugger Fit Condom, and LifeStyles Luscious Flavors Condoms, available in vanilla, strawberry, and banana flavors.
CONDOMania.com, an online retail site, is conducting an Internet survey of condom usage at www.rateyourself.com. In keeping with CONDOManias mission, the survey contains both serious and silly questions designed to get participants to think about condom usage in a fun way, a company press release says.
For more information about condoms or sexually transmitted diseases, contact the Centers for Disease Control and Preventions national STD and AIDS hotlines at (800) 342-2437 or (800) 227-8922.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 31 min 49 sec ago
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 44 min 49 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 1 hour 5 min ago
- Youth BREAKING: Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 1 hour 24 min ago
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 1 hour 31 min ago
- Entertainment News Debbie Reynolds: 'We All Knew He Was Gay' 1 hour 56 min ago
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship 2 hours 10 min ago