BY Advocate.com Editors
February 17 2001 12:00 AM ET
Voting population more familiar with gay issues
A new study by the Colorado-based Gill Foundation says that gay people are getting more politically involved and that the general voting population is more aware of gay and lesbian political issues. Some of the key issues in the report, “Out of the Closet and Into the Voting Booth: Lesbian, Gay, and Transgender Voters in 2000”:
• Knowing a gay or lesbian person makes a difference; 37% of voters familiar with a gay person say their relationship increased their awareness of gay issues.
• Voting matters to gay people; 92% of the gay people who responded to the survey were registered to vote.
Copies of the study can be found at gillfoundation.org.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 2 hours 8 min ago
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 2 hours 52 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM