BY Advocate.com Editors
February 24 2001 1:00 AM ET
Eminem says he didnt know Elton John is gay
In an interview with MTV News following Wednesdays Grammy Awards, Eminem told the networks Kurt Loder that he was unaware, at first, that Elton John is gay. John joined Eminem onstage at the Grammys in a duet of Stan, a move that drew criticism for the openly gay Sir Elton from groups who objected to his collaboration with a rapper who has been accused of writing homophobic and misogynist lyrics. Of course Id heard of Elton John. I didnt know he was gay. I didnt know anything about his personal life, said Eminem, adding, I didnt really carebut you know, being that he was gay and he had my back, I think it made a statement in itself saying that he understood where I was coming from. Eminem also told Loder, If I didnt make a statement with Elton John tonight, I dont know what else to do.
In other Eminem-Elton news, the two will be taking their act on the road, as the New York Daily News Rush & Molloy reports that Sir Elton will present Eminem with an award at Monday nights Brit Awards, the United Kingdoms equivalent to the Grammys. The column also reports that John beefed up his personal security at the Grammy Awards, hiring a couple of off-duty Los Angeles SWAT team members as bodyguards. Meanwhile, the British tabloid The Sun reports that Eminem and John will record their Stan duet as a single, with proceeds going to AIDS charities as well as to the Grammy Foundation and to the MusiCares Foundation, which helps alcoholics and drug addicts.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- 19 Shows LGBT Viewers Can't Miss This Fall
- Boys Wear Skirts to Class in Protest After School Fines Trans Girl for Wearing Skirt
- Australian Trans Man Fires Back at Clerk Who Publicly 'Embarassed' Him
- Op-ed: They're Trans, They're Hispanic, and They've Changed This World
- Op-ed: The Long, Powerful History Between Labor and LGBT Activists