BY Advocate.com Editors
March 21 2001 12:00 AM ET
Peter Paige embroiled in new Queer as Folk controversy
Very out and outspoken actor Peter Paige, who plays very out and outspoken character Emmett Honeycutt on the popular gay series Queer as Folk, finds himself once again defending the actions of others. As if placating the press back when straight cast member Hal Sparks made an unfortunate comparison between kissing men and kissing dogs, werent enough (That quote is taken out of context, Paige says), TV Guide Online reports hes now called upon to respond to fans charge that having his character suddenly join the ex-gay movement is merely an attention-getting device by the writers. Paige admits, I understand why people are having trouble with this. Of all the guys, Emmetts been the most well-adjusted in terms of his sexualityup to a point. But in some ways hes pretty naïve and gullible. Regardless of his characters inability to judge, the actor certainly has issues with the ex-gay movement as a whole, referring to it as an evil cult. They prey on other peoples unhappiness and insecurities. What they do is [arrive at] a faulty conclusion that you need to be straight [to live a happy life]. With Queer as Folk currently on hiatus in anticipation of taping for its second season, Paige plans to begin looking for un-Emmett like roles to play. Hell be spending the month of May performing at the L.A. Gay and Lesbian Centers Renberg Theater in a piece called Secret Agents, a play about the relationship of a brother and sister and their mutual obsession with James Bond and all things secret agenty.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 8 min 59 sec ago
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 1 hour 10 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 1 hour 14 min ago
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 3:07 PM
- World News Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News Agencies 3:02 PM
- Film Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries 2:53 PM