BY Advocate.com Editors
May 11 2001 12:00 AM ET
Los Beltrán canceled
Spanish-language channel Telemundo has shut down production on the U.S.-produced sitcom Los Beltrán, according to the Los Angeles Times. Los Beltrán, which was about a Cuban-American family, was unique in the realm of Spanish-language television in that it featured two openly gay male characters who were portrayed in a realistic fashion. The show received many awards from gay rights groups for the positive portrayal of a same-sex couple. Network spokesman Steven Chapman said, For the amount of dollars they were spending for it, it wasnt cost-effective. The ratings were pretty decent, but I dont think they were as good as they had hoped. It got so much critical acclaim, which is why its such a shame. Executive producer Carlos Bermudez elaborated, To produce a show of that quality domestically, for our people that live here, is going to cost you. If you want to go to South America and Mexico for programming that has nothing to do with your life here, so be it.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 2 hours 43 min ago
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? May 21 2013 10:00 PM
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! May 21 2013 8:29 PM
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. May 21 2013 8:25 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' May 21 2013 8:03 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude May 21 2013 8:00 PM