BY Advocate.com Editors
December 11 2001 1:00 AM ET
Hedwig and the Angry Inch debuts on video
The critically acclaimed musical Hedwig and the Angry Inch makes its video debut on Tuesday, December 11, on VHS and DVD. (The latter includes a great deal of supplementary material, including a 90-minute documentary on the show's evolution from stage to screen.) Writer-director-star John Cameron Mitchell tells TVGuide.com that he looks forward to audiences discovering his film at home on the small screen. "When you see something like The Rocky Horror Picture Show on cable all the time or on Broadway, it makes me think that people will remember that the details of the story are really just that--details. The more specific you are, I also find, the more universal your story can be, because you trust that that person really can exist in the world. There's a lot of nuance to it." For more information about Hedwig, visit www.get-hed.com.
From the archives of The Advocate
08/14/01: John Cameron Mitchell
Boldly confronts mind-bending issues of gender and sexuality with his rock-and-roll fairy tale Hedwig and the Angry Inch, a movie that grabs you by the heart, not the head. With cocreator Stephen Trask, career-long iconoclast Mitchell uses one gay boy's journey into womanhood to address everybody's search for their other half
By Bruce C. Steele
- #TBT: Selling the Male Body
- BREAKING: North Carolina Governor to Veto Antigay Measure
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- Alabama's Antigay Chief Justice Scolds Ruth Bader Ginsburg on 'Judicial Ethics'
- Poised for Perfection: Sgt. Shane Ortega Puts a Face to the Transgender Military Ban