BY Advocate.com Editors
February 05 2002 1:00 AM ET
American Movie Classics salutes gays in Hollywood
American Movie Classics will take a look at gays in Hollywood with "AMC's OUTstanding Movies" on Tuesday, February 5, beginning with the network premiere of Bill Condon's Gods and Monsters, starring Sir Ian McKellen as legendary gay filmmaker James Whale, followed by the original AMC documentary Out of the Closet, Off the Screen: The Life of William Haines. The documentary examines the life of Hollywood's first openly gay actor. The evening concludes with a screening of The Celluloid Closet, the award-winning documentary about images of gays and lesbians in the movies. For more information, visit www.amctv.com.
From the archives of The Advocate
02/05/02: Gentlemen preferred Haines
A new documentary traces the life of 1920s movie idol Billy Haines, who quit acting rather than closet himself, then became interior designer to the stars, including Joan Crawford
By Stacie Stukin
- One of the Original X-Men Comes Out as Gay (Spoilers)
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- Speak Now: Prop. 8 Decision Will Pave Way for National Marriage Victory
- More of You Could Be Fired for Getting Married
- Pa. Students Allegedly Throw 'Anti-Gay Day,' Write 'Lynch List'
- Op-ed: I Met My Best Friend on Grindr