BY Advocate.com Editors
February 06 2002 12:00 AM ET
Gay nominations galore in DGA's television category
The Directors Guild of America released nominations for directorial achievement in television, and many gay artists and television projects were cited. In the Dramatic Series category, Alan Ball was nominated for directing the pilot of the HBO series Six Feet Under, which he created, and openly gay television veteran (and Advocate columnist) Paris Barclay was cited for directing the "Indians in the Lobby" episode of The West Wing. Will & Grace racked up an 18th nomination for the straight-but-not-narrow James Burrows, for his direction of the episode "Bed, Bath & Beyond," and competing against him in the Comedy Series section are the openly gay Todd Holland ("Bowling," Malcolm in the Middle) and Michael Patrick King ("The Real Me," Sex and the City).
Bisexual movie stars--their biographies, anyway--dominated the TV movie category at the DGA, with nods for Life With Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows (directed by Robert Allen Ackerman) and James Dean (directed by Mark Rydell). The DGA awards will be presented March 9 at the Century Plaza Hotel in Los Angeles.
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular 18 min 8 sec ago
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics 1 hour 9 min ago
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? 1 hour 17 min ago
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President 1 hour 57 min ago
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 2 hours 54 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 5:38 PM