BY Advocate.com Editors
February 06 2002 1:00 AM ET
Gay nominations galore in DGA's television category
The Directors Guild of America released nominations for directorial achievement in television, and many gay artists and television projects were cited. In the Dramatic Series category, Alan Ball was nominated for directing the pilot of the HBO series Six Feet Under, which he created, and openly gay television veteran (and Advocate columnist) Paris Barclay was cited for directing the "Indians in the Lobby" episode of The West Wing. Will & Grace racked up an 18th nomination for the straight-but-not-narrow James Burrows, for his direction of the episode "Bed, Bath & Beyond," and competing against him in the Comedy Series section are the openly gay Todd Holland ("Bowling," Malcolm in the Middle) and Michael Patrick King ("The Real Me," Sex and the City).
Bisexual movie stars--their biographies, anyway--dominated the TV movie category at the DGA, with nods for Life With Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows (directed by Robert Allen Ackerman) and James Dean (directed by Mark Rydell). The DGA awards will be presented March 9 at the Century Plaza Hotel in Los Angeles.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 1 hour 54 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 2 hours 48 min ago
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 4:00 AM
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM