BY Advocate.com Editors
March 15 2002 1:00 AM ET
Will & Grace becomes "Must Keep TV"
NBC will pay more than $300 million to keep Will & Grace for three more seasons, reports Variety. The network will pay in-house producer NBC Studios a license fee of about $4 million per episode to keep the show on the air through May 2005, the end of the show's seventh season. That compares with a current license fee of about $1 million per episode. The new deal makes Will & Grace the network's fourth-most expensive series, behind ER (about $8 million), Friends ($6 million), and Frasier ($5.2 million). It is thought that the imminent departure of Friends at the end of the 2002-2003 season put NBC on the hunt for a "sitcom security blanket."
"Will & Grace has been the biggest comedy hit of the last four years," said NBC Entertainment president Jeff Zucker. "And in this year when it's faced intense competition, it remains the second-highest-rated comedy [in demographics]. The show is just hitting its stride."
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Scout Comes Out to Camp Leader 44 min 47 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 1 hour 10 min ago
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 1 hour 44 min ago
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM