BY Advocate.com Editors
April 03 2002 1:00 AM ET
Hedwig and the Angry Inch, What Makes a Family among GLAAD honorees
The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation presented the 13th annual GLAAD Media Awards Monday in New York, the first in a series of three events to be held around the country. Guests and presenters included emcee Kristen Johnson, Bea Arthur, Richard Belzer, Sonia Braga, Bill Brochtrup, Peter Gallagher, Valerie Harper, Deborah Harry, Audra McDonald, Cynthia Nixon, Sheryl Lee Ralph, and Barbara Walters.
Additional awards will be presented in Los Angeles on April 13 and in San Francisco on June 1. Here are the recipients of GLAAD Media Awards from Monday's program in New York:
Excellence in Media Award: Glenn Close
Vito Russo Award: Nathan Lane
Outstanding Film--Limited Release: Hedwig and the Angry Inch (Fine Line Features)
Outstanding Television Movie: What Makes a Family (Lifetime)
Oustanding Daytime Drama: All My Children (ABC)
Outstanding Newspaper Overall Coverage: USA Today
Outstanding Newspaper Columnist: Leonard Pitts Jr. (The Miami Herald)
Outstanding TV Journalism: "The Children Speak," 20/20 (ABC)
Outstanding Magazine Overall Coverage: The New York Times Magazine
Outstanding Advertising--Print: "Absolut GLAAD," Absolut Vodka
Outstanding New York Theater--Broadway & Off-Broadway: The Invention of Love
Outstanding New York Theater--Off-Off-Broadway: In On It
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word
- Michigan Woman Sues Planet Fitness Over Trans-Inclusive Locker Room
- 12 Celebrities Who Lovingly Embrace Their LGBT Children