BY Advocate.com Editors
May 02 2002 12:00 AM ET
Strange Fruit wins USA Film Festival award
Joel Katz's Strange Fruit, a documentary on the haunting and controversial song written about lynchings and popularized by Billie Holiday, was named Grand Prize Winner and First Place, Non-Fiction at the 24th annual National Short Film and Video Competition at the 32nd annual USA Film Festival in Dallas. Strange Fruit examines how the song and its issues reflected and impacted the lives of African-Americans, immigrant Jews, anti-Communist government officials, radical Leftist organizers, music publishers, and jazz musicians, while touching on the brutal murder of Matthew Shepard and the "Without Sanctuary" exhibition curated by gay historian James Allen.
Katz received an honorarium of $1,000 as well as an invitation to serve on the jury of next year's competition. Other winners included: Leo Geter's Andy Across the Water (First Place, Fiction; $1,000), Kathy Smith's Indefinable Moods (First Place, Animation; $1,000), Eric Patrick's Ablution (First Place, Experimental; $1,000), Alice Elliott's The Collector of Bedford Street (The Family Award, $500), Kurt Kuenne's Drive-In Movie Memories (The Texas Award, $500), and Jeff Wadlow's tHe tOWeR oF BaBBLe (The Student Award, $500). Special Jury Awards ($250 each) were presented to Brian Williams's Traces of Ghana, Trent Cooper's The Comeback, Ernst Gossner's Bar Time, and Vinz Feller's Eventually There.
From the archives of The Advocate
collector James Allen has raised a ruckus with his shocking collection of lynching
photographs, published this past year in a troubling book.
By Malik Gaines
- Current Issue Number Crunch: A Church in Crisis 18 min 19 sec ago
- Current Issue The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd 1 hour 17 min ago
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM