BY Advocate.com Editors
May 02 2002 12:00 AM ET
Strange Fruit wins USA Film Festival award
Joel Katz's Strange Fruit, a documentary on the haunting and controversial song written about lynchings and popularized by Billie Holiday, was named Grand Prize Winner and First Place, Non-Fiction at the 24th annual National Short Film and Video Competition at the 32nd annual USA Film Festival in Dallas. Strange Fruit examines how the song and its issues reflected and impacted the lives of African-Americans, immigrant Jews, anti-Communist government officials, radical Leftist organizers, music publishers, and jazz musicians, while touching on the brutal murder of Matthew Shepard and the "Without Sanctuary" exhibition curated by gay historian James Allen.
Katz received an honorarium of $1,000 as well as an invitation to serve on the jury of next year's competition. Other winners included: Leo Geter's Andy Across the Water (First Place, Fiction; $1,000), Kathy Smith's Indefinable Moods (First Place, Animation; $1,000), Eric Patrick's Ablution (First Place, Experimental; $1,000), Alice Elliott's The Collector of Bedford Street (The Family Award, $500), Kurt Kuenne's Drive-In Movie Memories (The Texas Award, $500), and Jeff Wadlow's tHe tOWeR oF BaBBLe (The Student Award, $500). Special Jury Awards ($250 each) were presented to Brian Williams's Traces of Ghana, Trent Cooper's The Comeback, Ernst Gossner's Bar Time, and Vinz Feller's Eventually There.
From the archives of The Advocate
collector James Allen has raised a ruckus with his shocking collection of lynching
photographs, published this past year in a troubling book.
By Malik Gaines
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Film New Man Of Steel and Wolverine Trailers Debut 19 min 32 sec ago
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 55 min 38 sec ago
- Travel A Perfect Day in Rio 1 hour 23 min ago
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 5:30 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 4:34 AM
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 4:00 AM
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 4:00 AM