Survey: Most Americans ready for out athletes
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 19 2002 11:00 PM ET
According to a national opinion poll released Monday, 65% of Americans state that if their favorite male or female athletes revealed they are gay, the acknowledgement would not change their opinion of the sports star. However, when asked how they think "other sports fans would feel" toward an openly gay or lesbian sports figure, about eight out of ten--78%--said that "others" would have less favorable opinions.
"In many tests of public opinion, when Americans are asked about their own discriminatory feelings, it's not unusual to hear them say that they themselves are more tolerant than others," said Bob Witeck, CEO of Witeck-Combs Communications, which conducted the online poll in conjunction with Harris Interactive. "In this instance, however, the gap seems remarkably wide between one's own views and those prejudices thought to be held by other people."
Public acceptance of openly gay athletes seems likely, according to the responses of another survey question that asked individuals to choose a word to describe an active, popular male athlete who reveals that he is gay. Three quarters (76%) of all respondents used positive expressions such as "honest," "being himself," and "courageous." Only one third (32%) of all respondents used critical expressions, such as "sad," "publicity-seeking," or "perverted."
The survey was conducted online within the United States between July 23 and July 29 among a nationwide cross section of 2,191 adults.
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM