BY Advocate.com Editors
August 21 2002 12:00 AM ET
Avon Foundation to launch breast cancer walks in 2003
The Avon Foundation last week announced the launch of "Avon Walk for Breast Cancer," a series of fund-raising events to be held in eight U.S. cities in 2003. The events offer participants the option of walking either a 26.2-mile marathon or a nearly 40-mile walk over the course of two days.
"The launch of these new events is the perfect way to celebrate the Avon Foundation's Breast Cancer Crusade's 10th anniversary in the United States," said Avon Foundation president Kathleen Walas. "The Avon Walks will heighten awareness of the need to continue the breast cancer fight and will bring together people over the country to raise significant funds for medical research, clinical care, support services, education, and early detection programs with the ultimate goal of eradicating the disease."
One American woman is diagnosed with breast cancer every three minutes, and one dies of the disease every 14 minutes. Lesbians have been shown to be at a higher risk for breast cancer than heterosexual women.
Avon Walks will be held next year in Boston; Chicago; Cincinnati; Los Angeles; Portland, Ore.; San Francisco; and Washington, D.C. For more information or to register for any of the events, call (877) WALK-AVON or go online to www.avonwalk.org.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying?
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
- Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under the Bus—Again
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM