BY Advocate.com Editors
August 20 2002 11:00 PM ET
Avon Foundation to launch breast cancer walks in 2003
The Avon Foundation last week announced the launch of "Avon Walk for Breast Cancer," a series of fund-raising events to be held in eight U.S. cities in 2003. The events offer participants the option of walking either a 26.2-mile marathon or a nearly 40-mile walk over the course of two days.
"The launch of these new events is the perfect way to celebrate the Avon Foundation's Breast Cancer Crusade's 10th anniversary in the United States," said Avon Foundation president Kathleen Walas. "The Avon Walks will heighten awareness of the need to continue the breast cancer fight and will bring together people over the country to raise significant funds for medical research, clinical care, support services, education, and early detection programs with the ultimate goal of eradicating the disease."
One American woman is diagnosed with breast cancer every three minutes, and one dies of the disease every 14 minutes. Lesbians have been shown to be at a higher risk for breast cancer than heterosexual women.
Avon Walks will be held next year in Boston; Chicago; Cincinnati; Los Angeles; Portland, Ore.; San Francisco; and Washington, D.C. For more information or to register for any of the events, call (877) WALK-AVON or go online to www.avonwalk.org.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Russia's High Court Declares 'Gay Propaganda' Ban Constitutional
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM