BY Advocate.com Editors
August 21 2002 12:00 AM ET
Avon Foundation to launch breast cancer walks in 2003
The Avon Foundation last week announced the launch of "Avon Walk for Breast Cancer," a series of fund-raising events to be held in eight U.S. cities in 2003. The events offer participants the option of walking either a 26.2-mile marathon or a nearly 40-mile walk over the course of two days.
"The launch of these new events is the perfect way to celebrate the Avon Foundation's Breast Cancer Crusade's 10th anniversary in the United States," said Avon Foundation president Kathleen Walas. "The Avon Walks will heighten awareness of the need to continue the breast cancer fight and will bring together people over the country to raise significant funds for medical research, clinical care, support services, education, and early detection programs with the ultimate goal of eradicating the disease."
One American woman is diagnosed with breast cancer every three minutes, and one dies of the disease every 14 minutes. Lesbians have been shown to be at a higher risk for breast cancer than heterosexual women.
Avon Walks will be held next year in Boston; Chicago; Cincinnati; Los Angeles; Portland, Ore.; San Francisco; and Washington, D.C. For more information or to register for any of the events, call (877) WALK-AVON or go online to www.avonwalk.org.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Modern Family Director Live-Tweets a Plane Passenger's Drunken Meltdown
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Welcome to Night Vale: Where Queer Is Normal and Normal Is Bizarre
- PHOTOS: What Pride Looks Like in a Still-Hesitant Serbia
- Op-ed: Finding Sympathy for the Most Hated Woman in America