Lesbian mom and Christian daughters reach agreement
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 21 2002 12:00 AM ET
An agreement between a lesbian mother and her two teenage daughters may reunite them after the girls ran away from home in protest of their mother's sexual orientation. Kimla Green and her daughters, 17-year-old La Kenna and 16-year-old Shanicola, went into a family courtroom in Houston on Monday because the two teens had asked a judge to declare them independent following objections they had to their mother's sexual orientation.
In their petition to sue their mother for "divorce," the girls allege that their mother brought girlfriends home for overnight visits and tried to restrict their religious schooling when the daughters' beliefs caused them to question how their mother was living her life.
Under the deal, La Kenna and Shanicola will once again live with their mother as long as she doesn't "do anything" in front of the girls. In exchange, the girls will no longer attend the Body of Christ Ministry in southeast Houston, which Green said had brainwashed her daughters into thinking her sexual orientation wasn't right. The deal still needs to be approved by a judge in Fort Bend County, where the case was transferred. A hearing is scheduled for August 28.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Why Television Is Outpacing Film in Diversity
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM