Lesbian mom and Christian daughters reach agreement
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 21 2002 12:00 AM ET
An agreement between a lesbian mother and her two teenage daughters may reunite them after the girls ran away from home in protest of their mother's sexual orientation. Kimla Green and her daughters, 17-year-old La Kenna and 16-year-old Shanicola, went into a family courtroom in Houston on Monday because the two teens had asked a judge to declare them independent following objections they had to their mother's sexual orientation.
In their petition to sue their mother for "divorce," the girls allege that their mother brought girlfriends home for overnight visits and tried to restrict their religious schooling when the daughters' beliefs caused them to question how their mother was living her life.
Under the deal, La Kenna and Shanicola will once again live with their mother as long as she doesn't "do anything" in front of the girls. In exchange, the girls will no longer attend the Body of Christ Ministry in southeast Houston, which Green said had brainwashed her daughters into thinking her sexual orientation wasn't right. The deal still needs to be approved by a judge in Fort Bend County, where the case was transferred. A hearing is scheduled for August 28.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying?
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM